A MUCKRAKER OTHER

WARNING: No minced words here. İ rake the muck of the 'other', the so-called open-minded side who's preference is to whine and distort reality. If still suckling mom's tit or warped by delusions of polıtıcally correct equality you WİLL be offended by such materıal. Welcome to Reality.





Larry Scott, champion bodybuilder 1938-2014


-
I just learned Larry Scott passed away over a week ago. Only yesterday I was flipping through my collection of Physique Pictorial and paused to look at a photograph of him posing his bicep. I am a little surprised not to have heard about his death in more real-time. Even though I haven't a television I read the headlines daily and follow some fitness and bodybuilding Twitter accounts. Guess that speaks volumes of the state of the sport. (I bet if any bodybuilder had, say, died from cardiac arrest owing to preparation for a contest before/during/after the event there would have been a media frenzy cautioning (parents) against the dangers of the sport.)
what gains a man if he has everything but loses his soul?
In addition to his regional, Mr America and Mr Universe titles, Mr Scott was the first winner of the Mr Olympia competition, a contest invented and organized by Canadian muscle entrepreneur Joe Weider and brother. He successfully defended the title the following year -- and promptly retired. At 28 years old! Years later he would admit the real motivation behind the unexpected move: fear. In biblical parlance, what gains a man if he has everything but loses his soul? Mr Scott, newly wed, uprooted from L.A. and resettled in Utah where he gained spiritual fulfillment in Mormonism and operated gyms and fitness supplement businesses.  

When I was in the 7th Grade I remember reading an ad in a comic book  and writing to Larry Scott for the advertised booklet on muscle building. He never replied and I never got the booklet, and I wrote him an angry letter in turn. From that point onward I didn't like him so much. (But years later when I got into the sport and modeling his images were among the dozens I would photocopy to study and practice in my room and gym mirrors; yes all those mirrors serve a real purpose, folks.) Mr Scott's health and vigor were impeccable and his legendary biceps were authentically some 20" big...unlike this fool here.     




in 1991 (around age 52)



and how!

Are you a fan of fitness like me? Would love to hear back from readers who met Larry Scott or saw him guest pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...